About the Artist
Sumi von Dassow attended the University of
Washington, Seattle, Washington, 1982-1984 and San Francisco
State University, San Francisco, CA 1985-1987. She graduated
Summa Cum Laude with a degree in Art with an emphasis in
Sumi was Director of the pottery program at the Washington
Heights Art Center of the Lakewood Heritage, Culture and Arts
Program of the City of Lakewood in Lakewood, Colorado for 22 years.
She taught pottery at all levels, including hand-building,
wheel-throwing, glaze mixing and formulating, and pit-firing
workshops. She mixed glazes and loaded and fired kilns. She built
the mini wood kiln there and developed many of the glazes teachers
and students use.
In 2021, Sumi moved to Beulah, Colorado and opened Beulah Valley
Pottery at 8868 Grand Ave., Beulah 81023.
Sumi has been a frequent contributor to Pottery Making
Illustrated Magazine since its inception in 1997. She has
participated in the Denver Potters Association and Castle Clay
shows each year since 1998. Sumi conducted annual pit firings for
the City of Breckenridge from 2001 through 2015 and helped design
and test the pit in the Breckenridge Arts District.
- Washington Heights Peculiar, invitational, Lakewood
Cultural Center, 2017
- From the Fire, Contemporary Works in Ceramic Art,
invitational, Lakewood Cultural Center, Lakewood CO 2016
- Juror and workshop presenter, Art Center at La Veta, La
Veta CO July 2010
- Members and Mentors, invitational, Arvada Ceramic Arts
Guild, Arvada CO, 2009
- Rest in Beauty, solo show of funeral urns, Lakewood
Cultural Center, Lakewood, CO, 2008
- Rocky Mountain Biennial, Museum of Contemporary Art, Ft.
Collins CO, 2004 & 2006.
- Two by Two, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA
Feb.17 - April 1 2005
- Colorado Artists Guild, Artists of Colorado, Denver Botanic
Gardens, 2004, First Place
- Sculpture Also Artists of Colorado 2000, Third Place
- North American Sculpture Exhibition, Foothills Art Center,
Golden CO, 2004
- "Equinox Celebration", two-person show at Breckenridge
Theatre Gallery, Breckenridge CO, 2004
- Invitational show “From Inside the Clay Studio” Lakewood
Cultural Center, 2003
- Solo Show, Art Center on Main, Garden City, KS, 2003
- Craft Forms 2002, Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA, 2003. Also
Craft Forms 2001
- ANA 31, Holter Museum of Art, Helena MT, 2002. Also ANA 30,
Aug. 24-Oct. 28, 2001
- Old Firehouse Art Center 3-D Juried Exhibition, 2002.
- Feats of Clay VIII, Lincoln Arts, Lincoln, CA, 1995, Two
- Feats of Clay IX, Lincoln Arts, Lincoln, CA, 1996, Merit
- Feats of Clay XV, Lincoln Arts, Lincoln, CA, 2002.
- Naked Clay, three-person show at Lakewood Civic Center
South Gallery, Lakewood CO, 2001, Curator.
- Colorado Clay, Foothills Art Center, Golden, CO 2001.
Award, '97, '96 and '95.
- Solo show, the Potter’s House, Heritage Square, Golden, CO,
- Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Denver CO, 1996 & 1999.
- 17th Annual Hoyt National Art Show, Hoyt Institute, New
Castle, PA 1998 Purchase award.
- Texas National 98, SFA Gallery, Stephen F. Austin
University, Nacogdoches TX, Honorable Mention.
- The Object of Colorado, Denver International Airport,
- Topeka Competition 21, Topeka and Shawnee County Public
Library, 1997, Cash & Purchase Awards
- Selected Workshops
- Functional Pottery demonstration, Old Forge Art Center, Old
Forge MN. November 2016
- Pit firing workshop, Edina Art Center, September 2014
- Potters Council workshop, Alternative Firing Surfaces,
Edina Art Center, October 2013
- Pit firing workshop, Salt Spring Island, Canada, October
- Potters Council workshop, Burnishing and alternative
firing, May 2011
- Pit-Fired works by Sumi
were included in Pit Firing Ceramics: Modern Methods, Ancient
Traditions by Dawn Whitehand, 2013
- Pit-fired works by Sumi were included in Alternative Kilns
and Firing Techniques by James C. Watkins and Paul Andrew
- Profiled in Summit Daily News of Breckenridge, Colorado,
Oct. 19, 2007 in Leslie Brefeld's "Right Brain" column